Photo Inspiration: Flat Lays
Flat lay photography is the trendy and visually compelling method for artfully arranging beautiful objects on a flat surface. The result is a collage of items that shows scale and brings order to your photography. Flat lay is both beautiful and effective; On a Father's Day program for Baxter of California, 83% of the top-performing influencers created flat lay photography, driving an average of 4.5x as many engagements as those who did not. Since flat lay all the rage right now -- searches for flat lay increased by 160% in 2016 -- it's a trend you'll want to get on board with.
Here are a few tips and example for how to ace it.
- Use props and knick knacks that fit your theme and help you tell a story.
- Employ a variety of materials and different textures for a more interesting photo.
- Pay attention to the size of the props you use, using any larger items as your hero piece.
- Keep color cohesion in mind: Arrange items symmetrically or placing contrasting hues side by side for a more vibrant shot.
- Use a step stool or chair to help you angle your camera lens down, directly over your shot.
- Remember to focus your camera settings.
- Include a white cardboard opposite your light source to avoid shadows.
- Always, always, always opt for great lighting.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to your program Brand Success Manager or the Influencer Success Team at email@example.com.